Pre Employment Enrollment Meeting Dates
The New River Criminal Justice Training Academy will conduct 3 recruitment meetings for the 2023 Fall Pre-Employment Training Programs for its Law Enforcement, Jail, and Dispatcher programs. You must attend one of the three meetings in order to obtain an application packet. The dates are to be determined. Once available you must pre-register for one of the three meetings by contacting Ms. Renee Worrell at 540-674-5846 extension 0 Monday thru Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Pre-employment training is designed to allow individuals who are not employed by a criminal justice agency to attend state mandated training. Upon successful completion of training, individuals may make application to criminal justice agencies for full time employment. Individuals who are interested in making application to the New River Criminal Justice Training Academy Pre-Employment program are encouraged to discuss this matter with the Chief of Police or Sheriff of the jurisdiction in which they apply. Students are required to pay; tuition, fees, purchase certain equipment, and complete program medical requirements and psychological evaluation prior to matriculation.
- Individuals who wish to make application to the New River Criminal Justice Training Academy Pre-Employment training program must meet the following minimum requirements. Failure to meet any one of the following may disqualify such individuals from making application.
- An original birth certificate documenting United States citizenship, and that the potential candidate has or will have reached their twentieth (20) birthday no later than the day of the program opening.
- A valid vehicle operators license, if the training program requires the student to operate a motor vehicle as a part of the required curriculum.
- An official high school diploma, and official transcripts documenting attendance, grades, and that the potential candidate has successfully been awarded a high school diploma, or; official documents that indicate successful completion of GED requirements.
- An original New River Criminal Justice Training Academy health screening and physical referral form signed by a licensed physician stipulating no training restrictions or disabling health conditions.
- A completed New River Criminal Justice Training Academy Applicant Report and for Mandatory Drug Testing reporting a negative presence of illegal drugs.
- A completed Virginia criminal history records check which indicates the potential candidate has not been convicted of, nor pled guilty or no contest to a felony, or any criminal offense whether a misdemeanor or felony.
- A completed psychological evaluation performed by a licensed psychologist showing applicant is fit for duty.
- A completed physical assessment showing applicant can complete physical standards for admission.
- Completed fingerprints based criminal history examinations for all States of residency in which the potential candidate has resided beyond their fourteenth (14) birthday.
- Successful completion of comprehensive background investigation based on information provided in the program application and questionnaire.
- Sufficient financial resources to pay tuition fees, purchase training equipment, and complete program pre-evaluation and examinations.
Questions regarding this program should be directed to:
Director F.R. Ferrell
New River Criminal Justice Training Academy
P.O. Box 1085
Dublin, VA 24084-1085
(540) 674-5846 ext 102
In accordance with Federal/State/civil rights law and New River Criminal Justice Training Academy(NRCJTA) regulations and policies, the NRCJTA, its offices, and employees are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or sponsored by NRCJTA.